About a week ago, I promised a look at our brand new shelf, inspired by this one made from a reclaimed door. Jess loved the look, but we didn’t have access to any old doors. So I drew up a plan to build something similar from dimensional lumber. We are both really happy with how it turned out! Initially, I wondered if it would be obvious that this shelf was not truly an old door, but adding the knob and hinges makes it look really authentic. I sometimes forget that it’s mostly just 2×6’s!
You can build this shelf yourself for under $40 ($60 if you choose to add the hinges and knob) using our free plan. Total time spent on this project was only about 8 hours, so it could easily be finished in a weekend.
To start, I cut the lumber per the plan and drilled pocket holes in the ends of the horizontal rails.
Then, using 2-1/2 pocket hole screws and glue, I attached the rails to the stiles to create the “door”.
I cut the shelf supports at a 10 degree angle on the miter saw. While I had it out, I used the miter saw to cut a 1×12 into three 29″ lengths (the 6″ and 3″ deep shelves could be ripped from one 29″ piece of 1×12″). Next I beveled the edges at 10 degrees. I used a table saw because it’s faster, but this step could also be done with a circular saw and edge guide. I drilled pocket holes in the shelves and shelf supports and gave the pieces a quick sanding before assembly.
To assemble the shelves, I started by attaching the shelf supports to the shelves using 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws and glue. I used two to three pocket hole screws between each shelf support and shelf. Then, I attached the shelf/shelf support assembly to the door frame. I used three pocket hole screws through the shelf and into the door frame. On the lowest shelf support I used two pocket hole screws per shelf support (due to the extra depth of this shelf). On all other shelf supports, I only used one pocket hole screw.
Jess wanted a distressed look for this shelf, so we decided on the old tried-and-true technique of distressing using Vaseline. To start, I stained all of the visible parts of the door with a color called “Special Walnut”.
Once the stain was completely dry, I applied a light coat of Vaseline to the edges of the door and to select areas on the front of some of the rails.
Then I brushed on two coats of some semi-gloss Antique White we had setting around. It’s easy to see how the paint won’t stick to any spots where Vaseline has been applied.
After the paint had dried, I went over everything with 150 grit sandpaper. The paint came off easily wherever the Vaseline had been applied.
To complete the “door” look, I added hinges and a knob. I notched out the edge of the door where the hinge would be installed with a chisel for a more authentic look.
Finally, I installed the knob with the included screws.
The Final Product
And here it is, the finished product (dressed up, of course, by my talented wife):
That’s it! This was a pretty simple project that took less than 8 hours to build and finish. If you want to make one for yourself, click here to get our exclusive plan.
If you want to save this project for later, be sure to Pin it. Or follow us on Pinterest to keep up with all of our projects!